Translate

Saturday, 20 April 2013

Run Donna, Run!

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.  There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fail.  Think of it - always.
                                                 - Ghandi

For Boston

Item number two on my short list of goals was to run a 5K race.  I used to run sporadically, about twenty years ago, until I started telling myself that I couldn't and quit.  I knew I would have lots of support as my Dad, Brother and Hubby were/are all runners.  Neither was I starting from a level of complete out-of-shapedness, having had a gym membership for several years.  I guess I wasn't really working hard enough however, because I was thirty pounds overweight when I started training at the beginning of January this year!


Hubby suggested the 5K race that is part of the Bluenose Marathon weekend, here in Halifax, NS.  That would give me four and a half months to train.  The plan was to start out on a treadmill, doing five-minute run/walk intervals for half an hour.  In the beginning I was running a mere thirty seconds out of each five minutes, and even that left me winded and knackered!  As I got stronger though, and the runs got longer and easier, it became exhilarating, and I felt powerful.  Now that the weather is warmer I run outside.  At first it was like starting from scratch because it felt so different.  However I'm now up to regular 4K runs.
It hasn't always been easy; there have been days when I've been tired or felt like crap.  Some days I'm just plain-ol' unmotivated.  In the past I know I would have given myself an excuse and stayed home, but Menopause Moi doesn't hand out those 'get out of jail free' cards so easily.  This has been the lesson for me; that my mind, my willpower is getting stronger along with my little legs!
There's now less than a month until my race.  I am on track with my training.  I have exceeded my fund-raising goal of $1000 for the MS Society.  Best of all, I'm still excited about this goal (which I honestly didn't think I would be, given that the original purpose of it was simply to get over the word 'can't' and prove that I actually 'could'!), and will likely keep on running.
I'll let you know how I do, come race day.
Cheers,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...