Translate

Monday, 20 May 2013

Mission: Accomplished!

I DID IT!!!!

I finished my first 5K road race yesterday, on a cold but sunny Halifax morning in a faster time than I have ever run before.  Colour me happy!  My time was a slow 49:21.9, but I felt great through the whole run.  I started with a smile on my face, despite being nervous.  And I finished with a smile on my face, despite being pooped!  At the end a sense of relief eclipses all and it's hard not to smile.


At the start line


Firstly, today I must apologize to all my subscribers who are also Facebook friends, because they must be bored stupid with all the race stuff by now.  However, for the rest of the readers out there, because I talked about this in the post on kick-starting fearlessness, I wanted to let you know how it had turned out.
 Secondly I want to say a BIG Thank You to everyone who encouraged me, supported me and sponsored me.  You are the reason I stuck with it throughout the training.  Goals like this don't get accomplished alone and it has seemed to me that when I have felt like throwing in the towel, someone came through with just what I needed to hear or see.  You kept me going!  A special thank you is reserved for my Number One cheerleader - my Hubby - for the unconditional support and encouragement as well joining me on the Sunday training sessions which I know he could have walked faster than I ran!  Thanks a million, Sweetie; I couldn't have done it without you!
The past five months have been a real learning experience for me.  I wanted to prove to myself that I could do something that I set my mind to, even if I had told myself otherwise in the past.  I admit that there were days when I plain-ol' didn't want to do  what I knew I had to, and there were a million excuses that I could have come up with; but I didn't, for once.
Instead I kept in mind the fact that I wanted something different for myself.  I thought about all the people I would be letting down if I gave up, not least of whom was me!  So, even when it was just me out in the snow and the rain, I was motivated.  Because ultimately, as important as everyone else was in helping me, I was the only one who could take it all the way.
The applause and cheers I received yesterday were wonderful; I'm not going to deny that.  However, the journey to get there was a string of days when there was no applause.  But it was on those quiet days that I learned the most.  It was on those days that I gained not only a sense of accomplishment, but empowerment that has spilled over to other areas of my life in an incredible way.  My goal has been reached and I'm proud of that, but the outcome has been way more than I ever imagined.

Cheers,

Donna (Philosophical Moi today!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...