Translate

Sunday, 16 June 2013

Don't Bounce Back The Way I Used To!

I think today's post will be a bit shorter than normal (yeah! I hear you cry!).  I'm only just back on my feet after a nasty little tummy bug.  I am grateful for Wendy's post, for many reasons.  Not least of which, in relation to today's topic, was for the fact that I had already scheduled hers in and  didn't have to write one myself!!  Lucky timing indeed for me!

I don't often fall prey to this type of illness.  I can't even remember when the last time was.  I had to research on the Internet for how best to treat it and help myself recover.  All good advice, which is why I am now up and about again.

While I was feeling crappy and had nothing else to do, I did get to thinking.  That is, in between begging for relief and feeling like I was never going to be able to eat again (a fate worse than death in my world!).  Around Day Four it struck me - I don't bounce back the way I used to!  I'm sure that when I was younger I would've been up and raring to go after four days.  This time around I was still not able to eat and spent half the day in bed!

I should caveat some of this by saying that we had just come back from a trip.  It was only five days away, but eating and sleeping schedules still get jumbled.  Add to that Happy Hour in the hotel lobby every evening and the fact that Iceland's most popular restaurant is a hot-dog stand (!) and I think it's safe to say that my immune system was shot!  And, I'm learning, jet-lag is another one of those things - I just don't bounce back the way I used to!

Late nights out dancing - don't bounce back the way I used to.  I do this literally once a year these days.  Hangovers - don't bounce back the way I used to.  Truth be told, I don't get these anymore because I fall asleep before I can drink even close to that much.  Turning the clocks forward - don't bounce back the way I used to!  And there's probably a whole bunch more that I've forgotten about!

The fact is, as we get older, the wisdom we (should) have gained is to offset our bodies' inability to do the things it used to, at the speed that it used to.  It's nice to know though that there's a bit of a fail-safe built in.  When wisdom fails, biology takes over, with an often unpleasant reminder to smarten up!

It's no fun being ill so, as always, I am promising that 'next time I'll do better'.  And I hope I will, but my track record isn't stellar!  I do take better care of myself these days, but it's still a slow learning curve.  And of course, I wish that you lovely ladies all be well!

Cheers,

Donna

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...