Translate

Monday, 9 September 2013

Back to School Memories


Yes, it's that time of year again.  The kids in a large chunk of the Northern Hemisphere went back to school this past week.  It's time to get back into a routine, time to put the summer clothes away for the most part.  Traffic chaos is ensuing, largely because, not only is school back in, but crews are still working on road construction that should've been finished a month ago!  Not a happy combo, right there!

Now, I don't have kids, so other than the vehicular snafus on the road, back to school time really doesn't affect me.  And maybe some of the Moms out there with kids still in school or university will correct me, but it seems to me to be different these days.  For one thing, it seems to have become its own retail season, with 'sales' on everything from food to housewares, plus of course, clothes and technology.

I went to school in the UK, so the only clothes shopping required was a trip to Denner's department store to check out their little corner with the school uniforms.  Each school had its own colours - mine were yellow and turquoise that went with the requisite grey or black skirt and grey or black sweater.  I'm not even sure that the girls were allowed to wear trousers (jeesh... how old am I anyway?!)

We did have special 'non-uniform' days when we got to high school and I can remember one year buying red and white stripy socks in preparation.  Looking back I think they made me look a bit like the Wicked Witch of the West!  However at the time I thought I looked cool!

As far as technology went, well... there was none!  I don't think I even took a calculator to school!  I always liked to have a new pencil case though, kitted out with new pens, pencils, new eraser - everything all nice and clean.  Between those things and a couple of new notebooks, that was about all we did.  The school didn't own a computer I don't think, never mind the students!

I packed a lunch a lot of the time, but when that failed, there was always the standby - Mum would give me money for a school dinner!  I think these may warrant a post of their own one day.  Suffice to say God help you if you didn't like boiled cabbage (I didn't!!)!  The only thing that made those lunches tolerable was that there was usually dessert, and it usually had custard!  You really needed help from Above if you didn't like custard!!

So yes, things certainly seem to have changed, and mostly for the best.  I was not a diligent student (unfortunately), and the novelty soon wore off, but I always looked forward to that first week of a new school year.  It was so filled with anticipation and possibility.  Even though I have been out of school for a long time, I still find myself looking for that sense of renewal, come September.  How about you?

Cheers,

Donna

Image courtesy of nuttakit/FreeDigitalPhotos.net



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...