Translate

Tuesday, 1 October 2013

The (Lack of) Attention Span

The (Lack of) Attention Span
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 
So, here is how my life goes right now. 

To-do list items started yesterday - approximately ten (including this blog post!).  To-do list items finished yesterday - absolutely zero!  To-do list items started the day before - approximately six.  To-do list items finished from then - absolutely zero!

In just two days, I have begun, but not completed, an awful lot of stuff.  And not one thing of it can I cross off my to-do list!  Well, except take my vitamins!  (Yes, that's on my to-do list, otherwise I'd forget totally!!).  It's not that I'm lazy.  It's not that I procrastinate (well, it is that, just a little bit!).  It's that my attention span seems to have shrunk beyond all recognition.  Kinda like someone put it in a hot wash and dry!

I'm not sure if shortened attention is an actual symptom of menopause, or if it is as a result of other symptoms.  I'm not sleeping very well at the moment thanks to another visitation from the hot flashes and my busy brain.  (By the way, the current busy brain bed-time song is 'Blurred Lines' by Robin Thicke.  Fortunately, I didn't see the VMA's so have no image of a twerking Miley to accompany this; otherwise I might never sleep again!!).

I suspect however, that if you add lack of sleep to terminal forgetfulness, no attention span is what you end up with.  Or is this just me?  Does anyone else do this?  Anyway it's seriously making me crazy!  My to-do list is getting unwieldy (and frankly a bit depressing; the whole point of having the thing in the first place is to cross things off!!). 

Not to mention that when I do find my way back to the tasks at hand, it takes me a whole bunch more time to remember what I did, where I left off and what I still need to do.  And just when I get that all figured out, the phone rings... or someone comes to the door...  Aaarrrggghhh!  Back to square one ...  And so the circular insanity continues!

Today, I am faring a little better.  I went grocery shopping; a task that required completion unless I wanted Hubby to come home and find his beloved Thanksgiving turkey and a bunch of stinky fish all defrosted and drippy.  The only other thing I started was to change the sheets, another job that definitely requires same-day completion.  And I will finish this blog post.

So that will mean that there are only about fifteen things still outstanding.  Woo!  Hoo!  Progress!  Now, where was I on that item #4...?

Cheers,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...