Translate

Monday, 22 September 2014

The 5 Best Things About Fall

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun
from ‘To Autumn’ by John Keats

Fall is officially here, arriving at 11:29 p.m. ADT tonight.  (Yes, I do keep track of these things - a throw-back to my Celtic heritage perhaps? or maybe I was a druid in a past life?).  So here, in no particular order, are some of my favourite things about one of my favourite seasons:


IMG_4237


1. Fall colours
Like these ones, at right, in Gold River NS.  It is one of the best things about living in the Canadian Maritimes, as the vibrancy and diversity of colours is nowhere near as outstanding in the west.  The gold and red, as well as the green, are so spectacular they can almost make me forget what’s coming!  (Almost!)




2. Sweaters, Scarves and Socks, oh my!
I get cold easily so love my sweaters, socks and scarves.  Big sweaters that come up around my neck and cover my bum are the coziest, therefore by far the best.  They also represent easy dressing for me too (no pesky buttons that confound MS fingers!).  Add in woolly socks to keep the toes toasty and a scarf for my neck and I’m set.

3. Tea, Hot Chocolate or Pumpkin Spice Lattes
I love cold beer on hot summer days, especially when I’ve been working in the garden.  Come Fall though, to my mind it’s hard to beat a cup of tea for pure comfort.  Hot chocolate is a rare indulgence, but I love it topped off with marshmallows when I do.  And of course, Fall treats would no longer be complete without a Pumpkin Spice Latte.  (Yes, they arrived way too early this year, in my book!).  Nothing beats wrapping cold hands around a hot mug of something delicious.

4. The New TV season
We have Netflix, movies on demand and DVD rentals from our local library if need be.  And I love the convenience of being able to watch what I want, when I want.  But, call me old school, there is still something about seeing all the promos for the season premieres that is exciting (or perhaps I just need to get a life!).  I can see the day when this will come to an end, but in the meantime, I’m planning to settle in with my channel guide and a cup of tea!

http://www.public-domain-image.com (public domain image)
5. Comfort food
Soups and stews and other food that sticks to your ribs all come back onto my menu plan at this time of year.  Honestly, I could live on soup alone when the weather cools down.  I also cook up big batches of our favourite meals and stock the freezer, making supper time less of a chore during the week – a bonus for the uninspired cook that is so often me!




September and Fall also bring a sense of renewal, a fresh start.  With that outlook and all these good things, there is so much to look forward to in the coming weeks and months.

Happy Fall, Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...