Translate

Sunday, 12 October 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.


- John F. Kennedy

Happy Thanksgiving!

Do You Do Grateful?

My family, like many others, has a tradition at Thanksgiving dinner, of going around the table, each stating what we are thankful for.  Often we are reminded, by the feast and this tradition, that it is the love of those seated with us for which we are most grateful.



I know that when life takes over again, I for one will take much of it for granted.  It’s easy to do.  We get busy, too busy perhaps.  Doom and gloom come at us from the headlines – and yes sometimes, shit happens!

Keeping a Gratitude Journal

How then do we live by our gratitude?  One way that I have tried over the years is through a Gratitude Journal.  I read about this in the book Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach almost twenty years ago, and have kept one, albeit sporadically, ever since.

I keep going with it because despite not doing it daily, it does remind me of what is important more often than if I didn’t write in it at all.  There are some constants – my husband, family and friends, the love and health that I enjoy and my creativity. 

Looking back through it though, I can see how often it was the small, seemingly inconsequential things that made my day.  The things that would otherwise have gone unnoticed and been forgotten if not recorded.

An example of Gratitude in Action

A few weeks ago, as I was sketching out ideas for this post, another blogger, Chris Guillebeau’s post came to me.  In it he writes about a small gesture he performs when leaving a hotel, to show his appreciation for the housekeeping staff. 

It’s a gesture that in all likelihood goes unnoticed by the harried cleaners.  What struck me was the meaning he derives from the awareness of doing it.  I think that this is what raises our actions, however small, into gratitude in action. 

And as we celebrate Thanksgiving here in Canada, I’m going to try and remember:
Not happy people thankful thankful people happy
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I love this Donna! It's so important for us to be grateful AND thankful for all that we have. I'd love to remember to keep a Gratitude Journal - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,
      Thanks for the comment and for reading the post. It's not always easy to remember, but I think it's good for us, and I know I'm happier when I am thankful.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...