Translate

Sunday, 7 December 2014

My Annual Christmas Chick Flick Extravaganza!

*Please note: the images below link to my Amazon Affiliate account. If you click and purchase through this link, I receive a small percentage as payment.*

Each year, the W Network here in Canada shows Christmas movies all through December. There are the famous movies, sure – Miracle on 34th Street, The Santa Clause, Elf, Christmas With The Kranks, Home Alone, Love Actually, to name a few. These are the ones that had some measure of box office success and many are now holiday classics.

The majority of the W Network movies however are of the Hallmark, made-for-TV variety. They are saccharin sweet, formulaic and always, always have a happy ending. And I have a confession to make – I love watching them!


When it comes to movies, I am usually more of a pragmatist, particularly if I am forking over my hard-earned cash at the cinema. Entertain me, but make me think. Enhance my knowledge and expand my consciousness. I do like a good rom-com, but will wait until it comes to On Demand or Netflix to watch (especially after hearing The Hubby complain to our waiter when we went to see One Day!)

My predilection for watching these Christmas movies baffles even me at times. The only thing that I can put it down to is the fact that Christmas still seems like a magical time. It is the time to believe that dreams can come true, that special wishes made on a star, can really happen.

These films have, as their theme, love, redemption and miracles. Everyone deserves a second chance, love will conquer all and faith will surprise you if you believe with all your heart. I am not religious but I do know that these are the tenets of Christmas, and who wouldn’t want all this to be true.

In the ‘real’ world these days though, there is little magic to be found. The news is full of misery. This year we’ve been inundated with ISIS and Ebola, terrorism, racism and sexual assault, along with the usual litany of corrupt politicians and the economy.

Even the holidays themselves no longer seem like the most wonderful time of the year. Stress and debt levels go up. We battle for bargains on Black Friday and Cyber-Monday, harassed by advertisers to get this year’s must-have. We eat too much, drink too much and fret about our families. Our expectations are too high and our will-power too low.

In the midst of all this madness, these cheesy, predictable movies provide an escape. They give me a chance to put my feet up, and my cynicism aside.

Maybe a couple of hours sipping eggnog with a huge soppy grin on my face is the best use of my time after all. You know where to find me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...